Thursday, July 24, 2008

Other "deep" country thoughts

"Home" by Blake Shelton sounds like a whining hillbilly. Leave that one to Michael Buble.



Equally as bad is girlfriend Miranda Lambert's song "Gunpowder and Lead"- knew there was a reason or two I didn't like her- the whiney voice and secondly she thinks she is capable of taking on any man. I just don't find that hot. The image of a woman going home to load her shotgun, standing by the door and lighting a cigarette is just not hot. She reminds me of a man. Nasty. Next thing she'll be out plowing the fields with her man.

I can't forget about my dear Taylor Swift. Taylor, dear, what were you thinking on the CMA Awards? Vocal abilities? Whining ability, yes. Trying to sing at 10 different ranges- not attractive for a supposed talented singer. I can do just as well, I think. Her whining and range problem is a perpetual problem in all of her songs. I am tired of it. She seems to have more boy problems than anyone I know. And the boy out fit? The boy Taylor Swift? Yes. I saw the jeans and the hoodie- I'm confused about the outfit. Because you didn't say no I turned into a boy? I also noticed Taylor still has that hella annoying duck waddle when she walks. And the rain in the end? Get out of the rain, stupid! It looked like stage desperation as opposed to talent. Personally I think she "should've said no" to performing at the awards show and singing that song.



Toby Keith- "She Never Cried in Front of Me"- Anything Toby does goes on the bad list. "Beer For My Horses" or "Angry American" were just too much.

I am not having a "good time" listening to Alan Jackson's "Good Time." Is there some rule that just because Alan Jackson has been around in country music so long that his song has to be played 2-3 times every hour? The video bothers me- the whole reporter thing- since when is a country line dance "breaking news?" Secondly, the reporters in that song are terrible and Jackson does terrible PR promoting his record when he is in such a hurry to leave the scene. I think having real reporters could have added a dimension of reality.

"Come on Over" by Jessica Simpson, hun, your career is over; once you left Nick it was done. In fact, it was done prior to that. Your records were never successful and your droning voice doesn't help. Sorry Joe.


Now who in country gets props?


Josh Turner and Trisha Yearwood in "Another Try"
Trisha is always classy, has an amazing voice, and her duet with Josh is really neat, especially since their voices are so different. This is just so much more appealing than the droning "Long Black Train."


Josh Gracin- "We Weren't Crazy"
Nice story, modern country, great voice.


Montgomery Gentry- "Back When I Knew It All"
In your face, two very different voices, the genuine country sound

Luke Bryan- "Country Man"
Fun, upbeat, and who else could make salt curing a ham and other things country men do sound so cool? Great voice.

Jimmy Wayne- "So Do You Believe Me Now?"
Good sound, a little mainstream sounding, but it surprises me to admit Jimmy Wayne actually has a good hit.

Lady Antebelum- "Looking For a Good Time"
The lead singer has a great voice and the girl in the band's vocals provide an interesting sound.

No comments: