Monday, September 24, 2007

2 incredible opportunities

I want some advice- I've thought about it and am at a crossroads.

I interviewed last spring for an internship with a high ranking state official with a lot of power in Washington. I got the internship. If I could get a letter of recommendation with their name on it, I'd be set I think. It would mainly be doing office stuff- helping around the office, writing letters, responding to citizens in the area about problems they are having.

So why take this internship and why to not? The name of the official on a letter of recommendation for me... closer to home... 30 minutes away as opposed to an hour with the one below. The office seems really uptight and not so laid back. If I want to go into government, public relations, etc. this is a good start.

I interviewed at the beginning of this month for an internship with a newspaper. It sounds like an incredible experience because I can get experience working at a newspaper, have my name PUBLISHED, learning to shoot, report, and write stories working with reporters. Getting to go in the field and interview.

So why take this internship and why not? Great experiences working at a newspaper, which would help if I do end up pursuing journalism. The downside is that I'd be commuting 60 miles each week 2 days a week and it is an hour away. The position is basically an entry level reporter- not a beat reporter. I would be doing community pieces- interviewing various figures in the community like sports person of the week and get to cover news stories.

Both would be 10-12 hours a week and both would be unpaid.

I need to make a decision TODAY. School starts Thursday and I'm going to have to run around and take care of all the paperwork in the coming days.

No comments: