Tuesday, January 27, 2009

He's back and banging his head

Here's one of those conversations with my dad I had this afternoon. It is one of those that makes me want to bang my head against the computer screen.

Dad: What's with the eggs in the refrigerator?
Me: Um... that's where they belong?
Dad: Don't you like eggs?
Me: Sure.
Dad: I thought you needed the eggs.
Me: For what?
Dad: Those egg things.
Me: That's descriptive.
Dad: Those egg things you make.
Me: What do I make? Eggs? What have I made with eggs lately?
Dad: Mexican things. Breakfast things.
Me: What Mexican thing or breakfast thing?
Dad: Isn't this why you bought eggs?
Me: I didn't buy eggs. We usually have eggs on hand. Mom was making cookies the other day.
Dad: So what are the eggs for?
Me: To eat.
Dad: So what are you having for breakfast?
Me: Pepperoni Pizza Hot Pockets usually, or Oatmeal Crisp.
Dad: So you don't need eggs? What are these Mexican things in the refrigerator?
Me: (thinking, trying to figure what Mexican things are in the refrigerator) Tortillas?
Dad: Yes. What are you using those for?
Me: Quesadillas.
Dad: Those have egg in them.
Me: If you do a breakfast quesadilla.
Dad: You're not eating these for breakfast?
Me: No. For lunch. Chicken and cheese.
Dad: So you're not putting egg in them?
Me: No.
Dad: Then how are you making them?
Me: ARE YOU LISTENING? I JUST SAID CHICKEN AND CHEESE QUESADILLAS. NOTICE THE TORTILLAS, THE SHREDDED CHEESE, NOTICE THE CUT UP CHICKEN BREAST IN THE REFRIGERATOR. PUT A TORTILLA ON A PLATE WITH CHEESE, BREAK UP THE CHICKEN AND DROP IT ON, PUT SOME SALSA ON. PUT IT IN THE MICROWAVE FOR A MINUTE OR SO.
Dad: Oh. (goes back to making the chili for dinner)

No comments: