Sunday, October 19, 2008

Another upset at my college

I get a call Wednesday about 1:20p.m. from Ms. Dawn in the Spanish Dept. at my college. Ms. Dawn is in charge of the Spanish dept (as far as making sure kids complete the requirements for a degree in Spanish or minor). Ms. Dawn told me that she knows I filled out my paperwork to declare a Spanish minor in March 2008. Here it is October and she is just now getting around to entering it in the computer. ...Surprised she didn't lose the paperwork... She said that she didn't really pay attention to what I said my major was on the declaration form. The problem is I'm a Communications major and that since that is basically not a true department and is a branch of the Liberal Studies Dept. I should have a Spanish major and a minor in something else. I told her that the classes I've taken as a Comm major complement the Spanish (I've taken Anthropology classes on the American Southwest, history of Spanish, etc.) She seemed kind of apprehensive after I said that, then said, well, my problem was I filed the paperwork too late. TOO LATE IS MARCH 2008 AFTER I TOOK MY FIRST UPPER DIVISION SPANISH CLASS. THAT'S TOO LATE.

So basically I'm going to fight that and while it seems like my case trumps her's, we'll see...

I am just thinking how easy it would have been to have finished up last year and taken my degree in Comm, rather than go above and beyond to try to get the Spanish minor. I am upset because of what a Spanish minor means to me. It means that Im bilingual, I can teach Spanish, I can get jobs others can't, and I can travel and try out my Spanish. As of now I'm only 2 classes away. 2!!! ...And to just learn that now. ...And for the paperwork to take so long to be input. ...And to not be told when I originally filed the paperwork is inexcusable.

It goes without saying I am going to put up a fight and rattle some chains. I have meetings with this woman, the Spanish language and Spanish Dept. head. I will have an appointment with the Dean of the Humanities Dept. and the Dean of the college if I don't get results. I just hate how everything at my college is a struggle and this is yet another one... and now my degree is at stake.

1 comment:

Crystal* said...

Mean people suck.

Just saying.
Keep fighting the good fight. If you receive no satisfaction...move up the ladder. Be the squeaky wheel.
Hugs*