Thursday, April 24, 2008

Where I feel like I made a difference

Today I subbed for my mom's friend, the math teacher in the room next to her.

After a rocky start to the day with the really bad class, the day improved.

It was a pretty good day and one where I felt like I made a difference. The 2 pre-algebra classes were working on using the distance formula (Distance=Speed x Time or D=Velocity / Time). A lot of kids, perhaps due to apathy toward the subject weren't trying and thought me, being the sub would give them the easy way out and tell them the answer. Me? Do that? No. Never.

When a kid asked for help, I enthusiastically came over and asked them where they were having trouble. The kids told me and then sat blank wanting me to do the work for them. I said, "well, look, you have speed and distance given, now tell me what is missing." "Ok, so you are trying to find time, so what do you do?" The kids would ask inquisitively "multiply?" I'd ask the kids to explain why and walk me through the steps. They did and they'd come up with the right answer.

You know what? I could have taken the easy way out, but then I'd have felt bad for gipping them, but also not giving them the opportunity to prove they new how to do it.

No comments: