Saturday, January 12, 2008

Trying to get me to stay

I work at my old high school and love it for many reasons. I like the kids I tutor, the teachers I work with, the laid back atmosphere, my coworkers like Gaby, and that by working there now it may make it easier to possibly get a teaching job there. I shouldn't have problems getting a teaching job since I have connections since my parents are teachers.

The thing I hate that is as of late overshadowing my job- THE PAY. It is $10.00 an hour. When I graduated high school 3 years ago, $10 was good considering minimum wage was $6.75. Minimum wage is now $8.50. I have never received a raise. The school district and 2 idiot board members voted against a pay raise for tutors that would have raised our hourly pay to $12-15 an hour based on college units and experience. Last year every person in the district EXCEPT TUTORS got a 6.6% raise. Tutors in the district next to us and less than a mile down the road make $15 an hour. Another district in the area just raised tutors salaries from $9.75 to $10.75. 

I am 3 years into my college career and could easily find a better job paying a lot more. I could make $14.50 an hour being a campus supervisor at a school (only need a high school diploma), $11.75-$14.75 being an instructional assistant (only need 2 years of college) or I could go out of the educational realm completely. All of these above jobs would work around my school schedule because they have morning or afternoon hours. If I work for more than 4 hours a day at either, I get health and retirement benefits as opposed to no benefits with my current job. I could get other tutoring jobs for private companies (think Sylvan) and make $15 an hour or better.

I could be a bank teller, despite the fact I loathe math, but could make $10.00 or so an hour to start and there is plenty of room for advancement. I could apply to be a checker at the grocery store and make $14 an hour or so and they have a nice benefits package. There is also room for advancement there. There are a bunch of other things I could do with my talents too. 

Money is the biggest issue. I feel slighted by the school district for not receiving a raise. I know that I deserve a raise... 3 years... more experience? I am saving money for many things right now including a car, vacations this summer (Chicago with friends, perhaps a trip to Vegas or two), and a house. I only wish I could afford a house payment right now where I could get in on this housing slump. I don't have to work, but like to work to keep busy. My job is purely for keeping me busy and spending money. I guess I'm to the point where I'm greedier and want more money. Part of me is wanting to branch out and try new things. I am going to start subbing in my mom's school district this month as a matter of fact to try new things and make $125 a day. I really just want to experience other things though, things that pay more. 

My boss was talking to me the other day and she adores me. I can do no wrong. I made it a point to tell her months back that I was seriously considering leaving the high school. She said she understood, respected that, said she'd love to write me a letter of recommendation, and asked if there was anything she could do to get me to stay. Among the things thrown around included giving me "extra" hours- like if a kid needs extra help in 1st period I can come in early to help him. Other things included making me lead tutor. I already do the job of the lead tutor since I have been there for 3 years I know all the ins and outs. Those aren't real incentives, but she can't really do much more- it all lies in the hands of the district, and so she can try to get me to stay, but it is going to be hard.

No comments: