Thursday, February 19, 2009

The sweet escape

Work was fun today. I subbed for my mom who has a sinus infection. It has been developing for 2 weeks, but the past couple days she has been very hoarse, which was a sure sign she'd lose her voice today. She always ends up throwing up because of all the drainage and so spent the day at Kaiser.

Spent the time before school in the teacher's lounge talking about the newly passed state budget with a few teachers. Went to her room and as I was walking in, my mom's friend Linda was cutting through. She told me that we were going to breakfast at Farmer Boys during her prep period. I laughed and said it sounded good. Third period rolls around and Linda strolls through. We take off and spend the next 45 minutes talking about school, AVID, and my tutoring gig for AVID. As we get back from breakfast Linda tells me we won't be hungry at lunch, so we'll have dessert. She said we'll have cookies. She bought a bunch of Valentine's cookies and put them in my mom's refrigerator in her classroom. So lunch rolls around and we talk about the students and I tell her about me pursuing a teaching credential, as well as the CSETs. Talking to her was a breath of fresh air- she gave a different perspective nobody else had on going to a private institution for my credential.

I had an easy day as she was giving the final test for her class and she has GREAT kids. Her 6th period class just adored me and didn't know I was her son. I normally am very down to business and let's move, let's do this, let's do that, you need to be on task, etc. With my mom's students I'm much more lax. My mom told me to be- she said they were good kids (I've subbed for her many times before) and that she always is when she gives a test. She told me to tell them to sharpen pencils, take out notes, and give them plenty of time for that because the test would take almost, but not all period. So it worked out. Being laxed like that let me joke around with her 6th period and let the fact sink in I was my mom's son- they hadn't seen me before (and supposedly most of these kids were 7th graders, who should have run into me last year.)

No comments: