Friday, March 7, 2008

Timeout

Yesterday I subbed for 6th graders at my mom's school. I had them for 3 periods. I do not like 6th graders, 7th, or 8th graders for that matter. I am subbing for this age level because my mom's school district is K-8, so high schoolers aren't an option. I do my best though- I'm firm on the kids like I would be with any other grade level. I also make sure to adjust how I talk around them etc. just because middle schoolers are different than high school kids. Not that I'd say anything bad, but it comes down to reasoning. High schoolers you can reason with, whereas middle schoolers have to be more forced, so I adjust my wording appropriately.

Anyways, I had the kids for 3 periods- 2 periods of math and 1 of science. There was one gal up wandering around, then she got an attitude with me a total of 3 times. The 2nd period I had her, she tried to tell me how to take attendance. My policy is if you're not in your assigned seat according to the seating chart, you are marked absent. She wanted to sit by her friend and not in her seat, so I marked her absent. She then was up talking and distracting everyone once we got down to work. I told her she better get to work or I'm sending her out. She said no, everyone else was causing problems. She told me she would cry on my shoulder. Finally I had enough and I said go to room 4. She told me she can't go to room 4 because it is the counseling center. I said well, they'd be more than happy to see you. She said no- there is probably no room there. I said they'll talk to you. I said go to room 4 now. She then said the teacher in room 4 was on prep. I told her that was pretty funny because I know for a fact that teacher's prep was 2nd period. She asked how I knew and I said something tells me that she has a class right now. I got on the phone and called my mom saying she would have a visitor. The class was wondering how I knew all this information and I said it was MY MOM'S CLASSROOM. Room 4 is my mom. They were all shocked. The girl went over to my mom's class and my mom met her at the door and said she heard that she was giving her son a hard time. The girl said no and it was everyone else in the class. My mom had a desk for her, sat her down there, and made her get to work. I caught the girl outside after school and she told me how mean I am and how mean my mom was to her. My mom just said that she heard she was giving me a hard time. We're mean teachers- the mean streak runs in the family.

No comments: