Sunday, June 22, 2008

On the verge of buying a car

...and I feel nervous. I have dealt strictly on the internet with several dealers. I have done my homework and fought for $14,995 for the price of the car I want. 2 dealers will offer it at that price. One is the dealer we bought my mom's car at and I like. I am just worried/nervous they'll add hidden fees. The car should come out to $16,500 after tax and license. To have it cost more would put it out of my range. I'm worried we're going to have to fight and they'll try to pull something on me. I'm sticking firmly though to my decision- give it to me at this price or else. I've waited months already and can wait longer.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mr Me

I am a licensed car dealer in Colorado.

Yes, there are potential fees when you get to the dealer's store. I'll discuss those in a moment.

In the negotiations on the Internet, you should have negotiated for a "drive out" price i.e. no other fees or add-ons.

You can still clarify that before going to close the deal. Ask, is this the "drive out" price, no other costs except tax, title and license?

Some insight into the business today. Sales are off terribly. It is a buyer's market. So hang tuff.

The add-on fees are "dealer prep fees". Don't pay it. Title preperation fees. Don't pay it. Transportation costs. This should have been added in your quoted price. There is no negotiation on this fee.

For a new car I would pay the invoice price, which you can find on the Internet plus $300 plus transportation costs plus tax, title and license fees. Nothing else. If your a tough negotiator then take off the $300.00.

Don Massey
www.cars4profit.com